amica helps separated couples to:
- make parenting arrangements if they have children, and
- divide their money and property simply.
amica is an initiative of National Legal Aid and the Legal Services Commission of South Australia with support from the Australian Government.
amica provides you with a user-friendly way to work out parenting arrangements that work for your family, and record them.
Money and Property
amica uses artificial intelligence to make suggestions about dividing your money and property based on the information that you enter. The artificial intelligence considers legal principles and applies them to your circumstances.
If you and your partner both agree with the division suggested by amica, you have the flexibility to work out between yourselves how you would like to put the division into effect. For example, will you sell the house? Will one of you buy out the other?
Important: It is recommended that you get financial advice before transferring any money, property or debts.
There is a charge for creating the agreements and/or consent orders in amica as follows:
• Parenting agreement/plan: (AUD) $150.00 + GST
• Property agreement: (AUD) $150.00 + GST
• Application for Property Consent Orders: (AUD) $250.00 + GST
- You are unlikely to require to produce both a Property Agreement and Property Consent Orders.
- A Property agreement is an informal document recording the itention of the parties with regards to deviding the asset pool. Third parties are not bound by this informal agreement and therfore may not accept them.
- A Court Order, once sealed by the Court, is a legally binding document and can be relied on by third parties to undertake related action.
Once payment has been accepted, your agreements and/consent orders will be available to view and download in PDF format (you are unable to amend the documents).
Payee: The payment will appear as Legal Services Commission of SA on your bank statement. A receipt is presented online and also emailed to your amica registered email. The receipt is also available to view online through amica.
Refunds: Payment is requested at the time you wish to produce a document. You will have the opportunity to progress through the various processes and then make a decision as to whether or not you wish to record the agreed outcome by producing the document. If you wish to produce the relevant document, you are then presented with the payment screen and required to make payment via a credit or debit card. Given this, it is unlikely that a refund will be required. Further, refunds are not given if you simply change your mind or make a wrong decision.
If you would like to request a refund contact askamica or email us at: email@example.com, attach the receipt and state why you believe a refund should be made. Requests must be made within 30 days off the payment and are assessed on their merits. You will be contacted and advised of the outcome. If a refund is approved, then it is processed through the BankSA PayWay facility and debited to the card used in the transaction.
Help and Support
amica provides a pathway to a range of help and support options, such as reliable and accurate information, social support, family violence help and legal help.